Astoft

Salisbury,  Wiltshire  -  St George's Church, Harnham
12th century

Click on photos to enlarge
Notes in italics from Wiltshire by Nikolaus Pevsner Revised by Bridget Cherry (1975) Yale University Press, New Haven and London



Dscn3931-rot-persp-screen-u2-540-u0.3t3-q50.jpg (64687 bytes) Dscn3927-crop-screen-u2-405-u0.5t3-q50.jpg (52445 bytes) Dscn3930-rot-screen-u1-540-u0.5t5-q40.jpg (75218 bytes) Dscn3924-u1-540-u.3-q30.jpg (69262 bytes) Dscn3923-u1-540-u0.3-q40.jpg (58137 bytes)

The N tower is mostly early C19. Yellow brick and flint chequerwork. ... Nave and chancel are both Norman (1100s). One chancel N window, one nave N window (small round-headed) ... Another nave N window is c.1300 (pointed with tracery). ... 

In the chancel south side, lancet windows (early 1200s).

Decorated south chapel (c.1300).


Dscn3922-persp-rot-u1-540-u0.5-q50.jpg (70778 bytes) Dscn3922-crop-screen-u0.5t3-q60.jpg (30270 bytes) Dscn3925-rot-persp-u1-540-u0.5-q30.jpg (61114 bytes)

 The W front of brick (English bond!) is part of Butterfield's restoration of 1874, as is the E wall.
English bond is alternate courses of headers and stretchers, which went out in the late 1600s.

Nearby is the Old Mill

Map

Salisbury Cathedral and Close

 
Home Architecture Index Email:  Maps Link  (U.K.)
 

All photographic images in pages within the domains astoft.co.uk & astoft.com are Copyright the Website owner 2001 or later unless otherwise stated. Email contact above. Full size 3megapixel originals are available for approved purposes.