Astoft

 


Fredensborg
North of Copenhagen
Dansk


Dscn8964-transf-crop-levltmid-u1-760-u0.5-q70.jpg (84485 bytes)


Click on photos to enlarge


Dscn8961-crop-levrgbmid-u1-h405-u0.5-q70.jpg (81716 bytes)      Dscn8968-transf-crop-levltmid-u1-h405-u0.5-q60.jpg (74123 bytes)      Dscn8969-rot0.25-crop-levltmid-u2-h405-u0.5-q70.jpg (78350 bytes)      Dscn8967-transf-levltmid-u2-h405-u0.5-q60.jpg (65489 bytes)      Dscn8973-transf-levltmid-u2-h405-u0.5-q70.jpg (64030 bytes)

Fredensborg Palace was built in the 1720s by King Frederik IV. The name means "peace castle" in commemoration of the end of the Great Nordic War in 1720. There were additions and changes in the course of the 18th century.
The main building consisted originally only of the central portion of nine bays, and in one and a half floors only, with the square domed, copper-clad central section rising above. The architect was Johan Cornelius Krieger, inspired by Italian Baroque. The octagonal courtyard consisted of single-storey wings and an entrance portal opposite the palace (since removed).
In 1741-44 the palace was raised by Lauritz de Thurah to two full storeys with a sandstone balustrade. Around 1750 Nicolai Eigtved added the four corner-pavilions with copper roofs. Seen from the front or the back, it looks as if there is only one pavilion at either end, extending the length of the building. The front pavilions obscure the rear pavilions, as becomes clear in the last picture in the row below.
De Thurah added the tall chimneys at the corners of the central dome.
In 1774-76 the wings surrounding the courtyard were raised to two storeys by C.F. Harsdorff. He removed the entrance portal and built the present pavilions that flank the entrance to the courtyard. Triangular pediments with mutule decoration.


Dscn8997-transf-levltmid-u2-h405-u0.5-q70.jpg (75349 bytes)          Dscn8983-rot0.25-levltmid-u2-h405-u0.5-q60.jpg (77468 bytes)          Dscn8983-rot0.25-crop-u0.5-q80.jpg (69536 bytes)          Dscn8986-soft-varlt-rot-crop-u2-h405-u0.5-q70.jpg (53483 bytes)          Dscn8984-levltmid-u2-540-u0.5-q60.jpg (72208 bytes)

Just east of the palace is the Late Baroque church with its wings. This was built in the 1720s shortly after the palace, but without its present physical connection to the palace. White-washed walls, roof of glazed black tiles, large square copper spire with onion dome. Tall windows, pilasters and pediment with a bust of Frederik IV by Didrik Gercken. The wings were heightened around 1760.


Dscn8988-transf-varlt-u2-h405-u0.5-q70.jpg (62853 bytes)          Dscn8990-transf-varlt-u2-h405-u0.5-q60.jpg (60597 bytes)          Dscn8989-transf-varlt-u2-h405-u0.5-q70.jpg (58241 bytes)          Dscn8992-transf-varlt-u2-h405-u0.5-q60.jpg (70909 bytes)

The garden side of the palace. The first picture shows the connection of the palace to the church wing inserted by Laurids de Thurah in the 1750s.


Dscn8993-u2-540-u0.5-q50.jpg (77640 bytes) Dscn8995-u2-540-u0.5t3-q40.jpg (61295 bytes) Dscn8996-crop-h405-u1t3-q60.jpg (78400 bytes)

The avenue Brede All with the view towards Esrum Lake. One of five straight avenues spreading out though the Baroque park from the palace.
The next picture is the Marble Garden in formal French Baroque style just west of the palace. The red building is a domestic wing dating from the original building period in the 1720s. 


Dscn8963-levlt-u1-540-u0.5-q50.jpg (75787 bytes)

  Servants' dwellings along the avenue leading up to the palace, also from the 1720s.  
         
  More about the palace and garden:
Palaces and Properties Agency  (Danish government website)
EveryCastle.com
 
         
  Front page of Astoft's Danish section  

 

Home Architecture Index Email:  Maps Link  (U.K.)
 

All photographic images in pages within the domains astoft.co.uk & astoft.com are Copyright the Website owner 2001 or later unless otherwise stated. Email contact above. Full size 3megapixel originals are available for approved purposes.