Astoft

 

Odiham,  Hampshire  -  All Saints Church

Click on photos to enlarge.
Notes in italics from Hampshire and the Isle of Wight by Nikolaus Pevsner and David Lloyd (1967)
 Yale University Press, New Haven and London.



Dscn1720-transf-u2-720-u0.2-q20.jpg (77890 bytes)          Dscn1721-crp-lev-405-u80.0.5.1.JPG (55320 bytes)          Dscn1719-transf-varlt-varr-u2-720-u0.5t5-q30.jpg (66955 bytes)

A large flint church, with a brick tower embraced. The tower is of the C17, English bond, with angle pilasters and the bell openings surrounded by rustication and flanked by pilasters (Ionic capitals); battlements.


P1000633-transf-vary-u1-720-u0.3t3-q20.jpg (71294 bytes)          P1000652-crp-u2-h540-u0.5t5-q60.jpg (88169 bytes)          Dscn1722-transf-u2-720-u0.2-q30.jpg (75286 bytes)

The aisles have few and C19 windows. Tower doorway 1897.

P1000634-u2-720-u0.3t5-q20.jpg (91708 bytes)               Dscn1723-u2-h540-u0.5t3-q60.jpg (67185 bytes)

Perp N porch entrance, pretty Perp N doorway with leaf in the spandrels.




Dscn1725-transf-u2-720-u0.5t5-q50.jpg (81617 bytes)               Dscn1734-transf-varlt-u2-720-u0.5t3-q50.jpg (87481 bytes)


Both the arcades are high and Late Perp, but they differ considerably. First S, four bays, the slender piers of the often-seen section of four shafts and four diagonal hollows. Moulded arches. Latest perp the N arcade of three bays with octagonal piers, concave-sided capitals and nearly round double-chamfered arches.


Dscn1728-transf-varlt-u2-h540-u0.5t5-q60.jpg (79794 bytes)          Dscn1732-transf-u2-720-u0.5t5-q50.jpg (70546 bytes)          Dscn1731-rot-crp-varlt-u2-720-u0.5t5-q50.jpg (68381 bytes)

The two-bay arcades to the chancel chapels are early C13. Round, short piers, octagonal abaci, single-chamfered arches.
West galleries. 1632, with bulgy columns and sturdy balusters.
In the nave W wall the tower arch is early C13, see the imposts and the one slight chamfer. ...


Dscn1729-u2-h540-u0.3t5-q50.jpg (87069 bytes)


Pulpit. 1634. Of the Basingstoke type. Arched upper panels with flower vases, rectangular lower strapwork panels.


P1000654-transf-crp-u1-h540-u0.2-q60.jpg (88023 bytes)          P1000655-crp-q10.jpg (199400 bytes)          P1000656-crp-q10.jpg (151357 bytes)

In the churchyard outside the north wall are two gravestones to French prisoners from the Napoleonic wars, one in English, the other in French.


P1000644-varlt-u2-h540-u0.3t5-q20.jpg (81422 bytes)     P1000651-u2-720-u0.3t3-q40.jpg (83975 bytes)     P1000647-rot-crp-u1-h540-u0.3-q60.jpg (65114 bytes)     P1000650-transf-crp-soft-vary-u2-h540-u0.3-q50.jpg (96616 bytes)     P1000646-varlt-u2-720-u0.3t5-q50.jpg (63963 bytes)

The Pest House on the southern edge of the churchyard is from about 1625. Intended for sufferers of infectious diseases. From about 1780-1930 it was used to house indigent parishioners. More information at the website of the Odiham Society.



See also Odiham Castle and Odiham Houses

Map

 

Home Architecture Index Email:  Maps Link  (U.K.)
 

All photographic images in pages within the domains astoft.co.uk & astoft.com are Copyright the Website owner 2001 or later unless otherwise stated. Email contact above. Full size 3megapixel originals are available for approved purposes.