Astoft


Odiham Castle,  Hampshire

King John rode from here to seal the Magna Carta at Runnymede in 1215

Click on photos to enlarge


Dscn1699-u2-540-u0.5-q30.jpg (73478 bytes) Dscn1702-u2-540-u0.5-q30.jpg (72886 bytes) Dscn1704-u2-540-u0.5-q30.jpg (74614 bytes)
South face South East East face

Dscn1703-u2-405-u0.5-q30.jpg (39137 bytes) Dscn1706-varyell-u2-540-u0.5-q40.jpg (60752 bytes) Dscn1705-u2-405-u1-q40.jpg (50440 bytes)
North face inside From West South face inside

The keep is all that remains of the castle, which was built c.1207-12 in the reign of King John. It is the only octagonal keep in England. It is almost wholly of flint although some diagonal brickwork and stone is visible in the last picture. Thin buttresses. Three stories high, clear in picture from west. 




See also Odiham Church and Odiham Houses

Map

 

Home Architecture Index Email:  Maps Link  (U.K.)
 

All photographic images in pages within the domains astoft.co.uk & astoft.com are Copyright the Website owner 2001 or later unless otherwise stated. Email contact above. Full size 3megapixel originals are available for approved purposes.