The Royal Theatre,
Copenhagen - Skuespilhuset (The Playhouse)
Skuespilhuset (The Playhouse in English),
opened in early 2008, stands in the harbour of Copenhagen. In the
background above, the Opera House on the other side of the water,
opened on 2005. Both form part of The Royal Theatre together with the
original theatre building of 1874 in Kongens Nytorv (shown at bottom of
Click on the photos below to enlarge
The theatre was designed
by Boje Lundgaard and Lene Tranberg of Lundgaard & Traneberg Arkitekter.
It contains three stages of different size.
The prominent elements are: The oak-planked promenade leading to the
entrance and around the building. The large foyer of glass in front of
the brick-covered building. The projecting upper floor of coloured
glass. The scenery tower covered in copper.
The glass facade of the large foyer
reflects the harbour area.
The bricks of English
clay were designed to a special shape and colour for Skuespilhuset. The
large foyer with stairs and balconies as seen through the glass from the
outside. The restaurant in the foyer with a view across the harbour.
View across the harbour to Christianshavn
The original Royal Theatre in Kongens
Nytorv was opened in 1874.
Now referred to in programmes as the Old Stage.