The Black Diamond, or simply the
Diamond, by the harbour in Copenhagen was built in 1996-99. It was
designed by the firm of Schmidt, Hammer & Lassen. It is a large extension of the Royal Library and
is in sharp contrast to the earlier building of 1906 by Hans J. Holms
(left in first picture). The extension crosses the road called
Christians Brygge. The sculptured monolith in polished black granite and
glass has no vertical lines and appears to float on a ribbon of
glass at the base which contains the entrance and foyer. The harbour is
reflected in the great south facade. The building is constructed of
steel, glass, stone, concrete and wood and has seven floors.
Stretching east from the Diamond
is a lower range clad in light sandstone and called Fisken (the Fish). It
consists of two floors plus cellar. The spires in the background belong to
and BÝrsen respectively.
The Fish and the Diamond along
Christians Brygge. The middle bridge over the road houses the loans issue
section and is known as the "loans bridge".
the east facade
The atrium in the centre of the
Diamond. A travelator leads from the foyer up to the main floor which
include the loans section.