Built 1619-1623 in
Dutch Renaissance style by King Christian IV with Lorenz
og Hans van Steenwinckel as his architects. The latter was also the
designer for Rundetårn (the Round Tower).
They were sons of the Dutch-born architect Hans van Steenwinckel the Elder
who also worked for Christian IV and was responsible, amongst other
things, for the tower of Helligåndskirken
(Church of the Holy Spirit).
Børsen (similar to the French La
Bourse) was built as a covered market place, an "exchange". It
became a stock exchange in the 19th century but is now the Chamber of
Erected on a stone plinth, the
walls are constructed of red brick with sandstone framing, decoration and
sculpture. The decorated gable dormers on the east facade (first picture)
date from Christian IV's building, whilst only the middle dormer on the
west side is from that period. The others were added in 1879-83. The
roof was originally of lead but later became a mixture of lead, tin and
tiles. It was changed to a copper-clad roof during the major restoration
of 1879-83. At that time much of the sculpture and other sandstone was
renewed. Christian IV's spire with the four intertwined dragon tails was
rebuilt in1775. On its tip it carries three crowns symbolising the
kingdoms of Denmark, Norway and Sweden.