Astoft

 

Warnford,  Hampshire  -  St John's House
13th century

Click on photos to enlarge.
Notes in italics from Hampshire and the Isle of Wight by Nikolaus Pevsner and David Lloyd (1967) Yale University Press, New Haven and London.


Dscn3422-crop-contr-u1-540-u0.3-q40.jpg (69318 bytes)
House from the west

Pevsner calls it King John's House but it is marked on the Ordnance Survey map as St John's House. C.E. Bassett in the church leaflet states that it was built about 1210 by the St John family, who had married into the de Ports. (Adam de Port restored the church which stands immediately west of the house.)

Dscn3423-u1-540-u0.5-q30.jpg (76105 bytes) Dscn3425-u1-540-u0.5-q40.jpg (76366 bytes) Dscn3424-levmid-u1-540-u0.5-q40.jpg (71836 bytes)
Interior looking east Interior looking south Interior looking west

An oblong hall range, not large, but yet monumental. It was built in the early C13 and consists of an aisled hall of three bays and slender circular piers 25 ft high on octagonal bases. They do not seem to have carried any arches. The responds are curiously thin. The E wall is window-less. 

At the W end of the hall on the S side was the main entrance. It no doubt led into a screens passage.

Two doorways lead W from this into the low ground floor of the service end. This has to the W four small oblong windows with inner and outer splays. (Outer side in top picture).

Of the floor above we know nothing.

Map

 
Home Architecture Index Email:  Maps Link  (U.K.)
 

All photographic images in pages within the domains astoft.co.uk & astoft.com are Copyright the Website owner 2001 or later unless otherwise stated. Email contact above. Full size 3megapixel originals are available for approved purposes.