Astoft

 

Christiansborg Slotskirke
The chapel of Christiansborg Palace
Copenhagen
 Dansk

Dscn8735-transf-crop-varc-u2-h405-u0.5-q60.jpg (73460 bytes)

Click on photos to enlarge


Dscn8621-transf-u2-h405-u0.5-q50.jpg (64693 bytes) Dscn9188-transf-crop-u3-h405-u0.5-q60.jpg (67554 bytes) Dscn9091-transf-u2-h405-u0.5-q60.jpg (68151 bytes)

The chapel of Christiansborg Palace (Christiansborg Slotskirke) was built in 1813-26 as part of the palace complex. The palace has since been rebuilt in a completely different style after a fire in 1884, but the chapel survived. It was designed by the leading Neo-classical architect of the time, C.F. Hansen, who was responsible for other buildings in Copenhagen, including the cathedral (Vor frue Kirke).
The main structure was built in brick but is rendered, matching the sandstone windows and portico. A horizontal moulding breaks the facade vertically. Nearly flat roof and low dome.


Dscn8632-transf-crop-h405-u0.5-varlt-q60.jpg (63040 bytes) Dscn8627-transf-u3-h405-u0.5t2-q60.jpg (44722 bytes) Dscn8628-u2-540-u0.5-q50.jpg (70264 bytes)

Simple hoodmoulds or pediments above the windows. Simple, elegant portico but with decoratively carved Ionic capitals and classical panels above.



Dscn8736-rot-u2-h405-u0.5-q50.jpg (63275 bytes)

Dscn8735-transf-crop-varc-u2-h405-u0.5-q60.jpg (73460 bytes) Dscn8739-transf-varlt-varc-u3-h405-u0.5t2-q60.jpg (67637 bytes) Dscn8740-transf-varc-u2-h405-u0.5-q50.jpg (57142 bytes)

Dscn8743-transf-u2-h405-u0.5-q60.jpg (61076 bytes) Dscn8741-rot-vary-u2-h405-u0.5-q50.jpg (56042 bytes) Dscn8742-transf-vary-u2-h405-u0.5t3-q60.jpg (66640 bytes)

The interior is a Neo-classical gem. Highly characteristic of the style in its elements, proportions and colours.
Round arcades, Corinthian columns in the end walls, Corinthian pilasters on the side walls. Tunnel-vaulted roof and coffered dome in the Roman style. Marbled stucco walls.
Stucco angels in the roof by H.V. Bissen, small angel-reliefs by Bertel Thorvaldsen. Statues of the the four evangelists by different sculptors.
The chapel is used on special occasions by the royal family. The royal pew is above the entrance.

The chapel was dedicated in 1826 on the 1000th anniversary of the introduction of Christianity to Denmark.


More
about the church 
(Danish ministry website)

The sculptures  (black-and-white photos at Art & Architecture)  


Front page of Astoft's Danish section

 
Home Architecture Index Email:  Maps Link  (U.K.)
 

All photographic images in pages within the domains astoft.co.uk & astoft.com are Copyright the Website owner 2001 or later unless otherwise stated. Email contact above. Full size 3megapixel originals are available for approved purposes.