Astoft

 

Newbury, Berkshire - St Nicolas Church
16th century

Click photos to enlarge.
Notes in italics from Berkshire by Nikolaus Pevsner (1966)
Yale University Press, New Haven and London.


P6210347-rot-crp-u2-720-u0.5t3-q20.jpg (78116 bytes)

From the street the churchyard is entered by two very pretty Gothic archways. It is likely that they are connected with a payment to Fuller White in 1770.


P6210338-transf-u2-h540-u0.3t5-q20.jpg (77257 bytes)     P6210339-transf-crp-u2-h540-u0.5t5-q40.jpg (78712 bytes)     P6210355-transf-u2-h540-u0.5t5-q40.jpg (76769 bytes)     P6210358-transf-varlt-u2-h540-u0.5t3-q70.jpg (73951 bytes)     P6210360-transf-u2-720-u0.5t5-q10.jpg (77008 bytes)

The church is the great monument of the wealth of Newbury in the Late Middle Ages. It is a Perp church throughout, large, ashlar-faced, and the work of one generation. It was built c.1500-32, the nave at the expense of John Smallwood. The church is embattled throughout. The W tower has massive polygonal buttresses and big pinnacles with their own battlements and pinnacles. On it a date 1532. The windows are of four to six lights and of three lights in the clerestory.


P6210361-crp-levdkmid-u2-h540-u0.5t3-q50.jpg (78915 bytes)     P6210356-transf-u2-h540-u0.5t3-q20.jpg (84211 bytes)     P6210350-transf-crp-u2-h540-u0.5t5-q50.jpg (74230 bytes)     P6210353-transf-crp-u2-h540-u0.5t5-q30.jpg (72181 bytes)     P6210340-crp-u1-h540-u0.5t3-q60.jpg (73744 bytes)

Doorways in tower, south porch and chancel. Battlement details.


P6210362-transf-u2-h540-u0.5-q40.jpg (85291 bytes)     P6210369-transf-varlt-u2-h540-u0.5t3-q40.jpg (75704 bytes)     P6210369-crp-transf-u05.t3-h540-u0.5t3-q50.jpg (70839 bytes)     P6210386-transf-varlt-u3-h540-u0.5-q30.jpg (82993 bytes)     P6210371-u3-720-u0.5-q30.jpg (76932 bytes)

The arcades have five bays, and the piers are of a variety of the standard section of four shafts and four hollows in which the shafts towards nave and aisle are trebled. Only one pier, the second from the E on the N side, is different. It has a wave moulding instead of the plain hollow and a capital band all round instead of capitals only for the shafts. The nave roof is Perp and has the initials of John Smallwood.


P6210382-u3-720-u0.5t5-q30.jpg (88186 bytes)     P6210380-varlt-u2-720-u0.5-q30.jpg (66610 bytes)     P6210385-transf-u2-h540-u0.5-q30.jpg (66721 bytes)     P6210383-transf-levrgb-u3-h540-u0.5t5-q40.jpg (80165 bytes)

The chancel arch and the pretty chancel roof are of 1858 (Woodyer). 


P6210381-transf-u2-h540-u0.5-q60.jpg (75167 bytes)               P6210389-crp-u2-h540-u0.5-q30.jpg (80672 bytes)

Pulpit. Unusual and quite splendid. Above the familiar blank arches square panels with thick leaf frames. The pulpit was presented in 1607.


P6210372-rot-crp-u2-h540-u0.5-q60.jpg (78525 bytes)          P6210363-transf-crp-u2-h540-u0.5-q60.jpg (67282 bytes)          P6210375-u2-720-u0.5-q60.jpg (71381 bytes)

Font. - Monument to Griffith Cuerteys, died 1587. Kneeling figures under arches. - Charity boy painted on board and cut out. He comes from a school founded before 1713.


The church is in West Mills, Newbury
Map    

More Newbury


Home Architecture Index Email:  Maps Link  (U.K.)
 

All photographic images in pages within the domains astoft.co.uk & astoft.com are Copyright the Website owner 2001 or later unless otherwise stated. Email contact above. Full size 3megapixel originals are available for approved purposes.