Astoft


Avington, Hampshire  -  St Mary Church
18th Century

 Click photos to enlarge.
Notes in italics are from Hampshire and the Isle of Wight
by Nikolaus Pevsner and David Lloyd (1967)
Yale University Press, New Haven and London.

 
                 
 
          
         
  1768-71.  Built of brick.  Embattled W tower, three-bay body with battlements and with a Venetian E window.  The other windows are arched.  Doorways with rustication of alternating sizes.  It all looks earlier than c.1770.
The church replaced a decayed flint and stone Saxon church on the same site.
 
         
Avington Church, Interior, Hampshire
 
                        
         
  The furnishings are extremely well preserved. ... - Three-decker pulpit. - Box pews and family pews. - Hat pegs along the wall.
The box pews are of mahogany, previously said to have come from a ship of the Spanish Armada of 1588, but there is no evidence for this. Coincidentally the original Avington House behind the church was built in the late 1500s, although much altered since then.
 
         
         
         
  The Reredos with an open segmental pediment in the middle again looks decidedly earlier. Communion rail of metal.  
         
         
                   
         
  W gallery with the date 1771. - On it a barrel organ, the case Gothic; early C19. - (Chandelier. Of brass; 1771. ..). Writing on the panels of the organ records that it was given by Mary Shelley in 1849 (widow of Percy Bysshe Shelley and author of Frankenstein).  The organ has two barrels each playing 15 hymns and chants.  Arms of King George III dated 1771.  
         
               
         
  MONUMENTS. Marchioness of Carnarvon, died 1768. It was she who had the church built. Pink and white marble with a long inscription, an obelisk, and two urns.- George Bridges, died 1751. Yellow, grey, and pink marble. Two columns support a broken pediment. Sarcophagus and urn in the middle.  
         
         
         
  John Shelley, died 1866. In the Renaissance style. Pilasters, pediment, and bust.  Brother of the poet Percy Bysshe Shelley. He acquired Avington Park in 1847-48. The family sold the property in 1951. See Shelley family vault below.

Memorial to Lady Anna Eliza Brydges, Duchess of Buckingham and Chandos, died 1836.
 
         
         
                   
         
  Memorial to infant Edmund Mitchell Parfitt died1846.
Hatchment from the funeral of the Duchess of Buckingham and Chandos in 1836 uniting the arms of Buckingham and Chandos.
Memorial to Dudley Hepburn Stent died 1974.
 
         
         
         
  Memorial to James Jeffreys died 1786.
 Marble baluster font.
 
         
                   
         
  Shelley family vault and memorial opposite the church.  
         
         
         
                   
         
         
         
         
  Avington Park  
         
    Map    

   
Home Architecture Index Email:  Maps Link  (U.K.)
 

All photographic images on this website are Copyright the Website owner 2001 or later unless otherwise stated. Email contact above. Full resolution originals are available for approved purposes.